Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Feral Children

In Sociology, we have been reading and learning about feral children. Feral Children are children who have been locked up and abandoned without any form of nurture at all for a long period of time. Seeing the development and studies done to children in this condition really makes me realize how important the environment and surroundings really are. Most people usually think that genes and hertiage have a lot to do with the behavior of human beings, but I am beginning to believe the exact opposite. Without the influence from our environment around us, we would not be able to accomplish many things, even just simple tasks as walking or chewing. This poses the idea that it doesn't matter where you came from, it's the environment you learn from.

2 comments:

L Katie said...

I totally agree with this. The nature of these feral children really has nothing to do with how they are today. They simply forget what should be natural to them because they are, for instance, living with bears or wolves. I'm sure the kids wernt born with the instinct to bark or growl or get milk from a dog. They were born with normal, human qualities which were lost in their nurture. The enviorment they live in has total impact on who a person is. If we didnt live in this area, we wouldnt have the education we have. We possibly wouldnt be as intelligent as we are today.

BNick said...

I feel exactly the same way. The Feral children could have had unlimited potential but it doesn't really mean anything without a good enviorment to grow up in. I do think that genes and heritage do also shape who you are however that can't happen without growing up in a proper enviorment. fo sho