Thursday, February 14, 2008

Volunteering

I have done a good amount of community service in the past. It is a good way to help out others who are less fortunate than you. However, I feel that the only reason a lot of community service is done is because it is required. I haven't really done any volunteering just out of the goodness of my heart as bad as that sounds. I have been required for numerous classes and clubs to do these things. I have to complete 30 hours this semester, 10 hours for 3 different organizations. Requiring these amounts of service, I think diminishes the true value and reason for volunteering. People lose the thought of doing service to better the community and replace it with the thought of getting in hours to complete for a class. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind volunteering to help, but can I really call it volunteering if I am required to do it?

2 comments:

S Anna said...

Kels I totally agree with you. I think people fulfill hours of community service for all the wrong reasons. I can also admit that my main incentive for doing community service is simply to fulfill hours for a class or organization, and I wish i could simply do volunteer work just to feel the pure joy of helping others out. Since high school students like you and I do community service to meet requirements in classes, I wonder why adults do community service? Maybe, as you get older, you realize the real importance of volunteering, and begin to do it out of the goodness of your heart instead of to meet a requirement. My mom is involved in many community service efforts, and I hope to also be involved in many as I get older.

SRobert said...

To me, the whole idea of community service is to VOLUNTARILY VOLUNTEER. To want to make a difference.

The only exception would be mandatory community service from court, because it provides a better chance for a turnaround than jail.