Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Masculinity

Violence is a way that males like to express themselves and their masculinity. There are many studies that say it is perfectly noraml and healthy for boys to get in fights and portray violent behavior. However, not all boys are like this and commit such violent acts. Other boys are a lot better at coping with their everyday life and all of the put downs that they hear. The boys who are violent really have no excuse. How can some males put up with being made fun of but others can't? These males need to learn how to handle themselves better. But can they really learn when tough manliness surrounds them everywhere they go? There is not a single day when I don't witness guys acting all tough and macho. What people don't realize is that this is a sheild and only an attempt to being accepted as a male in this world. How will anything ever change if this continues?

3 comments:

SRobert said...

I can remember back in freshman gym I made a bad throw to "someone" during a softball game. He took offense, retrieving the ball, throwing it back at me, and challenging me to a fight. He was about 5 inches taller than me, and a good 50 pounds heavier. I guess we all take things differently.

The fight never went down, because he saw how huge I was when he got close.

G Mike said...

ya i know someone who fits that description perfectly.i wont mention his name but he always wants to fight people and prove how tough he is but when you deal with him one on one he is a normal person with feelings and emotions. when he is having problems, he is human like everyone else, but when he is in front of other people, he is completely different.

Sal said...

Kelsey -

I think girls need to help realize this is an issue for guys. Then, girls can validate the masculinity of their guys friends and boyfriends by letting them what they find masculine and acceptable/desireable. By the same token, hopefully guys will realize the sillyness that the media creates for girls to live up to in terms of looks. Guys can validae girls' self images in that way.